Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Well, today is the day, or yesterday rather. Yesterday was the day that I got my first letter back from any of the grad schools. The University of Colorado has offered me a place in their graduate architecture program. As I write this, I'm pausing just a moment to allow that to sink in. I got into grad school. I got into grad school.

It's ironic that this is the first school to respond, since it was the last applicaiton due. What's even more ironic is that on Sunday, as I was driving (very safely, I might add) home from Memphis, I was praying about the decisions in front of me, and I decided that the greatest news in the world would be to receive all four letters in the same day and have each of them say "No". What a strange thing to hope for! But it would be the most definitive answer in my seemingly undefined life. Those with whom I've already shared this news ask me if Denver was my top choice. At this point, my top choice is wherever God wants to take me, even if that doesn't mean grad school. Also praying in the car yesterday, I was expressing how it all feels so scary because I feel like July is really close, and I need to know what the next step is so I can make preparations for the plunge--whatever plunge it is. God brought Isaiah to mind, "In the desert, prepare the way for the LORD; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God. Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain. And the glory of the LORD will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of the LORD has spoken." (40:3-5)

Prepare the way for the LORD, Erin. Make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God. Sometimes I feel like God has taken me into wilderness because the wildness of his character and purposes causes me to reel. I don't know where in the world God is leading, and I don't mean that as a figure of speech. I mean, I literally do not know where on this planet God wants me be after July. Austin, Denver, Seattle, Los Angeles, Tibet, Africa or somewhere else I haven't even considered. More than ever, I want to be overseas, but I have lots of practical questions about the venture. A "No" from every school would almost have been a relief, the freedom to suck up my fears, hand them over to God, and freefall into his grace. What a rush!

God, let me hear you say, "This is the way; walk in it".

7 comments:

erinelizabeth said...

That's funny. I just re-read that sentence, "At this point, my top choice is wherever God wants to take me." I guess my saying "at this point" I am implying that what God wants hasn't always been my top choice. I would say there is some truth in that.

Cal said...

Doors are open, and that is a good thing I think. I know wherever you go and whatever you do, Erin, you will glorify God.

James Miller said...

Hey, Erin, I'll be praying for you. I know what it's like to have to decide your whole future in a short time. I know God certainly blessed me with an answer, and I'll pray that he does the same for you. Just make sure you're listening.

Schellhase said...

Also remember that you have freedom to make this decision. Don't submit to a new legalism. Enjoy the liberty Jesus purchased for you. He has given you a new heart that wants him, so you're in a great position to evaluate the options before you and make a wise choice.

erinelizabeth said...

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the words of encouragement.

Shelli said...

I feel a real peace about you going to Denver. And it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the fact that THAT is my favorite place in U.S. and that I'll totally take advantage of the free pad to crash at after a long day of skiing...seriously.

Compston said...

Umm, in a related story, Boulder may have moved up to number 1 on my list of law schools in the past week. Hmmm.