I've been in my new apartment since Tuesday, and my parents left this morning. I think I was ready for them to go, not because I don't like hanging out with them, but just because I needed to feel like I was getting settled in my apartment. I needed to feel like I was making something my own, just the way I want it. They were amazing. We got so much done this week in the way of things that need to happen before I start my workshop on Monday. They helped me do everything. They covered all expenses. I'm extremely grateful and humbled. We hardly unpacked any boxes, but I got my Colorado plates (and my dad even put them on for me), my Colorado driver's license (it's only a paper one right now, the real one will be mailed soon), my city parking tag that enables me to park in any unmetered zones in my neighborhood of Capitol Hill (probably about 25 square blocks). I emphasize unmetered because I already got a ticket; I thought with my parking tag I could park anywhere, even meters. Idiot! But that's right. I'm officially a resident of the state of Colorado; I even registered to vote (be proud John). That's more than I ever did in Arkansas, even though Fayetteville became my home. We also watched the Rockies get killed by the Cubs this week, and we purchased some really awesome furniture, since I didn't own anything.
I live two blocks south of the Capitol building. You can see it straight at the end of Sherman St. when you step out my apartment door. I have to admit it's freaking awesome and scary and sad all at the same time. It's actually always been a dream of mine to move to a big city after I graduated from college, all by myself, where I don't know anyone. Well, I did it. Right now it's as lonely as I thought it would be, but hidden in that loneliness is the idea that I'm starting out new, making my own way, taking risks. It's all very exciting!
My apartment is awesome. It's not without it's quirks, but I love it! My bedroom closet smells like a dead grandmother; I occasionally lose water pressure for no apparent reason; my kitchen is about the same size as Stephen and Kristen's at their soon-to-be old apartment, and the toilet sometimes growls like it's hungry and drains all the water from it, reminding me of Gennie's childhood fear that the toilet wanted to eat her poop. It's a small one-bedroom with old wood floors, no air conditioning, furnace heaters, and an unusually large amount of storage space. This afternoon I worked on unpacking and got the kitchen, bathroom and most of the living room settled. I promise pictures will come soon; I just don't have a digital camera. I'm old-school.
This afternoon was the first time I've felt sad. I dropped my parents off at the airport, held it together and then called Kristen to find out that she was hanging out with most of my favorite women in Fayetteville. I had a momentary tear session while I read a card from Mere-Mere, and then decided proactively that I would go for a run instead of crawling into my bed and crying. So, I ran (or walked, really), which brings me to Denver culture shock.
A few things have been a little different here. Some I can get used to; some will be difficult. Our first day in town, we went to campus to work out my loans, and came across 30 or so homeless guys hanging out at the soup kitchen set up on one of the sidewalks on campus. I have seen so many homeless people since being here. I mean, I was used to it in Memphis, but it's been a while since I've been around it and sadly it's much worse than Memphis here. Behind my apartment, there are three dumpsters and several more along the length of the alleyway that runs the full length of the block. Not a day has passed that I haven't seen and/or heard people digging through them. It's heart-breaking. I'm hoping to get involved with some organization here that works with homeless. I just can't walk by every day and not do anything. I actually live on the first floor in the apartment at the very back of the building, so the alley runs right behind my apartment. My bedroom and kitchen windows look out onto it. At night, it is really obnoxiously noisy.
I love this city though. Driving around the last few days has made me really excited about where I've relocated to. There are so many neat areas around town that are like little mini communities, especially the area I live in. Right now I'm sitting in a local micro-brewery/restaurant enjoying a stout beer and using the free wireless internet provided by the city of Denver on the 16th St. Mall. It's much like Pearl St. in Boulder, a pedestrian-only street with shops and restaurants lining each side, but it feels a little more commercialized. They're doing their next tapping at this brewery (I don't even really know what that means) on August 16, Stephen's birthday. Maybe the Compston's and I can come here to celebrate?? A couple of things you can pray for me: a bubbly, friendly girl (even if she's not a believer) and no creeper guys in my studio class (actually, if you could pray for a creeper-free zone in my apartment and at school, that would be great). Also, pray that I find a church to get plugged into, one in which I can find intimate community. Thanks! Please, send me an email! I would love to hear from my beloved friends, wherever they are! I miss you all and love you so!
Now I'm going home to make some jambalaya and watch a movie!
Saturday, August 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hello dear friend. I'm bummed...i wasn't at Gennie's yet when Kristen talked to you...I'll just have to call you myself.
Our "dance party" pictures are on justins "flikr" now. The dance party at the travel agents apartment in Xining. Yeah for goofiness!
So glad to hear you're getting settled in. We'll definitely be praying for you girl. Love ya,shelli
This is exciting...you are so adult now.
Eej, you are dearly missed but it sounds like you are settling in well. I imagine Denver will feel like home even more quickly than you think. I hope your jambalaya was good!
hey you- I'M COMING TO VISIT THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AHHHH!! so i guess i should probably call you and make sure we're square. i'll call you soon! can't wait to see you!!
You've been tagged...read by blog for instructions. Jaime started it...blame it on her! :) Shelli
You're like Mary freaking Tyler Moore! I totally feel apart of your experience after reading this post, and that makes me happy! I'm sorry my card made you cry; however, those were my intentions. ;) I miss you already, and will be calling soon! Maybe even sending a email sooner!
we lived in Denver for 3 years before moving to Fayetteville. Loved it, miss it! If you're still looking for a church to visit check out Pathways (they have two locations and I believe one is 'downtown'
I think their website is www.pathwayschurch.org
Post a Comment