Monday, August 20, 2007

these shoes weren't made for walking

subtitled: a chronicle of my travels around denver via the rtd bus system and the troubles therein


If anyone can make sense of the picture above for me, that would be great! Thus far, I haven't managed the bus system with much grace or intelligence, essentially the RTD MAN has me down. I can't read the little bus maps they hand out at the stations to save my life. I think the numbers are scheduled times that the bus stops at each stop, but why don't they have a colon, which would be a clear indicator of time?? This has been a really humbling experience for someone with fairly good directional skills and map-reading skills. I pride myself on being an excellent navigator! I haven't gotten lost in Denver yet, but I can't figure this mass transportation system out!

It all started on the first day of my workshop when, all prepared like a good little school girl, I sat down on the NW corner of the intersection of Grant and 12th Ave, right where the RTD trip planner told me to, to wait for the #10 bus, looking the perfect picture of a 13 year old at the bus stop on the first day of school, complete with backpack, giant art bag and lunch bag. I waited for 10 minutes wondering why there was no bench or sign marking the bus stop. Then the #10 pulled up at the stoplight across 12th from me, so guessing I had chosen the wrong corner, I ran across and, when he didn't open the doors for me, banged on the glass. He seemed completely annoyed but let me on anyway. As he pulled through the light I realized why he was annoyed. He was stopped at a red light; the bus stop was actually on the other side of the intersection. But as we pulled away, I soon felt uneast about the fact that we were heading in the wrong direction, east, away from downtown and the school. I got up and asked if this was the only #10 bus. He said there were many and asked where I needed to go. I told him and he informed me that I needed to get off at the next stop and cross the street to get on the #10 heading west. On the correct bus, headed in the correct direction, I realized that i hadn't actually been sitting at a bus stop at all; I had been on the Grant side of 12th and Grant and the stop was on the 12th side. That was Day 1.

Later that week, after staying late in studio, I went to my usual stop to catch the #10 home. I waited a long time and finally decided that the bus must take a different route after normal hours. So I walked the 25 minutes home, and the #10 passed me on my way. So now I know that the #10 is always the bus that I need to take to go to and from studio and home. Then I tried to figure out which bus to take from the actual campus (the architecture building is not on campus) by asking the bus drivers which route I needed. No one seemed to know. I'm not sure exactly why they work for RTD if they don't know the system, but one driver seemed to think he could get me close to my apartment. Once at the stop he told me to take, I had to walk 9 blocks home. I probably should have just walked from campus.

Which brings me to today. This afternoon, I sat out at 12th & Grant on the convenient bench provided by the city that I have now discovered. 15 minutes passed, and the bus hadn't come. I realized that with 9 minutes until class time for my first day of studio, I couldn't risk waiting any longer. So I walked. It sucked. I was wearing my little gold Greek goddess sandals (which I now never want to wear again) and formed large blisters on the balls and heels of both feet. I actually don't walk now; I waddle. Then, on my way home today, I stood up to get off at my stop and the driver didn't stop. I figred he just didn't see me stand up in time to stop, so I stood behind him, and he drove through the next stop. I now know that if there is no one waiting at a stop, the driver will not stop unless someone pulls the cord. So, I waddled the three unnecessary blocks home. Some day soon I will write a post to you all informing you that I have mastered the RTD. Until then, I'm wearing tennis shoes.

1 comment:

taylorius said...

http://www.rtd-denver.com/

you've probably already done all this, but:
-click 'how to ride' on the left
-click 'steps for riding the bus' a little down the page


prayin for ya.